The speaker of Parliament, Alban Bagbin has been petitioned to begin steps to investigate the snatching of ballot sheets by Carlos Ahenkorah during the counting of speaker of Parliament elections on last Thursday.
The Member of Parliament for Tema West was in a viral video snatching a ballot sheets when the clerk-on-the-table were counting the votes of the speaker of Parliament elections in Parliament on last Thursday just after the dissolution of the seventh parliament.
Many have been condemning the actions of Carlos Ahenkorah which led to a petition from Mr. John Bambir from Yamoransa in the Mfantseman constituency.
Part of the petition sighted by Kyfilla.com reads, “That, I watched the dishonorable action by the above -mentioned MP, who snatched ballot papers during the election of the speaker for the 8th Parliament last Thursday. That, what the gentleman did is not just criminal but has also cast dark clouds about our democracy and has once again exposed the undemocratic tendencies of the Akufo- Addo-led Administration.”
Read the full petition below;
PETITION DIRECTED TO THE SPEAKER OF PARLIAMENT TO CAUSE TO SET UP SPECIAL COMMITTEE, IF NOT PRIVILEGES COMMITTEE, TO THOROUGHLY CONDUCT AFULL-SCALE INVESTIGATION INTO THE SNATCHING OF BALLOT PAPERS BY HON. CARLOS AHENKORAH, MP FOR TEMA WEST AND BRING HIM TO BOOK.
The petition as follows;
1. That, I watched the dishonorable action by the above -mentioned MP, who snatched ballot papers during the election of the speaker for the 8th Parliament last Thursday.
2. That, what the gentleman did is not just criminal but has also cast dark clouds about our democracy and has once again exposed the undemocratic tendencies of the Akufo- Addo-led Administration.
3. That, I know Hon. Carlos Ahenkorah’s inaction actually reaffirmed the dastardly acts of convenience to abuse judicial processes, intimidation, brazen disregard for the provisions of the 1992 constitution of Ghana and naked acts of day robbery witnessed at polling stations and collation centres across the country of the 2020 December 7 elections that Ghanaians complained about.
4. That, Mr. Carlos Ahenkorah was not the polling agent for the npp caucus in parliament before, during and after the election so he has no locus in showing total disregards for the people’s law on elections and also obstructing parliament in the performance of its functions.
– That, the speaker should invoke article 122 of the 1992 constitution on Mr. Carlos Ahenkorah’s since his distartdly act is a clear obstruction of Parliamentary business.
– That, Carlos Ahenkorah is not more Ghanaian than ChristianNukpete, 39, who has been jailed, banned for five years from registering and voting in any election in Ghana and fined ¢3,600 for snatching a ballot box at the just ended general election in Sena West. As a matter of fact, the law maker must also be taken through the same laws to forestall suchoccurrence in the future.
That, Hon. Carlos Ahenkorah must immediately step aside pending investigation into an action which contravenes the people’s laws on election or even the provision of C.I. 127.
– That, I pray the august house does not take this matter lying down as it is a dent on its image globally.
-Clerk of Parliament
– leadership of the National Democratic Congress in Parliament
– leadership of the New Patriotic Party in Parliament.
– All media house